by Dr. Janhavi Rane, DDS, CEO and President, Rane’s Dental
Going to the dentist is a little like going to the gym, not something most people look forward to doing. We always tend to start brushing and flossing well few days or a week before the appointment in the hopes that it will give us better results at the visit, but then we slack off once we get through the appointment. Well, it’s not too late to make some dental new year’s resolutions.
1. Make sure that you have a semi-annual dental appointment. Most insurances allow for it so make an appointment every six months for a cleaning and checkup. Just like the rest of your body, your teeth need to be looked at along with x-rays to make sure that they are healthy and if anything is wrong it can be taken care of right away before it gets worse.
2. Floss at least once a day preferably every night. Food and sugars that sit between your teeth can wreak havoc on your oral health. When you floss, you are removing this food that can start decay and break down the structure of your teeth, causing cavities, pain and eventually tooth loss if not fixed. Floss gently between each of your teeth to ensure that you are getting all the food debris out. If your gums bleed, you may have gingivitis which should be looked at as soon as possible by your dentist.
3. Brush your teeth at least twice a day. It’s best that you brush your teeth after each meal. This reduces the time that your food stays around in your mouth which can cause cavities, gingivitis and bad breath. Make sure that you brush for at least two minutes and that you get all surfaces of your teeth. If you are not able to brush your teeth, then eat a fibrous fruit or vegetable (Ex. Carrots, apples or celery) this helps in removing sticky foods in between your teeth. If you don’t have toothpaste available right away, use mouthwash.
4. Don’t eat or drink for 30 minutes after brushing your teeth. The toothpaste needs time to settle and work on your teeth. If you consume food or beverages, you could be removing the toothpaste and reduce the effects that it was supposed to have on your teeth. Waiting for at least a half hour allows the ingredients to work effectively. If you have to drink something, sip water. If you have to eat something, consider something like yogurt that will stick less to teeth than other foods. It’s best not to eat after brushing at night or the foods will sit there all night causing decay, seen so often in young kids that fall asleep while sipping milk or juice!
5. Get an oral cancer check at your dentist once a year. There are screenings that can be done by your dentist with special lights to expose and monitor any suspicious areas in your mouth along with the clinical exam. One person in America dies from oral cancer every hour. Late detection of oral cancer is the primary cause that both the incidence and mortality rates of oral cancer continue to increase. Early detection can improve the chance of successful treatment. That’s the least you owe yourself!
We’d be more than happy to serve your dental health needs or answer any questions. For those of you without insurance, we offer a Rane’s Dental Plan at very minimal cost.
Rane’s Exclusively Yours Dental, in the Plainsboro Plaza Shopping Center is our main office providing all phases of Dentistry for children and adults.
Rane’s Dental Aesthetics, right across in the newer Plainsboro Village Center, is our specialty location providing orthodontics (braces), periodontics and implant services.
With general dentists and specialists on board at two locations right across from each other, we have eliminated the need to travel all over town for dental treatment while providing for the constantly growing demand for our services for the last 14 years. This way we have created a center to provide all phases of dentistry on site for children and adults right in downtown Plainsboro and strive to provide 200 percent satisfaction.
Rane’s Exclusively Yours Dental (Main Office), Plainsboro Shopping Center (Beside Romeo’s Restaurant), 10 Schalks Crossing Road, Plainsboro. 609-275-1777. www.ranesdental.com.
Rane’s Dental Aesthetics (Orthodontics and Periodontics), New Plainsboro Village Center (Beside 1st Constitution Bank), 11 Schalks Crossing Road, Plainsboro. 609-750-1666. www.ranesorthoperio.com.