Mary Ann Pidgeon

A client shared that she was on a trip with a group of college students. As one of the students fainted, my client was prohibited by law from contacting the student’s parents. Fortunately, one of the other students reached the parents as their daughter waited for the EMTs to arrive.

This story caused me to realize the importance of having the proper documents for our children before we send them off to college or to work. All young adults over the age of 18 should have a HIPAA Authorization, Health Care Power of Attorney, Durable General Power of Attorney, and Digital Authorization.

The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) is a federal law that protects the privacy of a young adult patient’s health care information. The HIPAA Authorization allows parents to have access to their child’s health care information without consent of the patient. A Health Care Power of Attorney allows the representative (agent) of choice to act on behalf of the young adult if he or she becomes incapacitated. The Durable General Power of Attorney immediately allows the agent to act on behalf of the young adult. Finally, a Digital Authorization allows the agent to have access to any digital devices. This authorization may prove extremely valuable.

Please call Mary Ann Pidgeon at 609-520-1010 or email her at to prepare these documents for you and your young adults.

Facebook Comments