The Princeton Environmental Commission and Sustainable Princeton invite residents to nominate an individual or an institution that works to preserve and improve Princeton’s natural, social, or economic environment, for the 2010 Sustainable Princeton awards.
Nominations must be submitted by Friday, December 17, and can be submitted through www.sustainableprinceton.org or by mail. Call 609-924-5366. Completed forms can be mailed to Princeton Environmental Commission, 400 Witherspoon Street, Princeton 08540. The awards ceremony will take place on Wednesday, January 26, at the Princeton Public Library.
Matthew Wasserman, chair of the Princeton Environmental Commission, says viable nominees will have taken steps to:
* Protect and improve the natural environment;
* Conserve energy; use energy more efficiently; and use alternative energy sources;
* Avoid the use of toxic substances;
* Meet Princeton’s social needs fairly; and
* Contribute to the community’s economic well-being.
Examples of specific actions include businesses that have lowered carbon emissions by building, renovating,or better insulating their homes in an environmentally minded manner; reduced water consumption by using rain barrels; or encouraged car pooling.
Full details are available at www.sustainableprinceton.org