by Chef Steven
If you buy our Boneless, Glazed or Bone-In Spiral Ham this Easter, and you have a little extra, that’s a good thing! With this chef-created recipe, those leftover pieces of ham will go out in style.
Crispy Bacon and Ham Macaroni and Cheese (serves 4-6 )
1 lb. fusilli
1 Quart milk, heated
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded fontina cheese
1/2 cup shredded sharp yellow cheddar cheese
salt & pepper
1/2 lb. crispy bacon, broken into pieces
1 cup diced left over Easter Ham
1 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 stick butter, melted
1. Bring a large pot of salted boiling water to a boil, cook the fusilli al dente, and drain (do not rinse with water).
2. In a small pot heat olive oil, add in flour to form a roux, cook slowly until amber in color add in heated milk until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, gradually add in cheeses. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
3. Add in cooked fusilli, bacon and diced ham toss well, pour into a buttered coated oven safe dish.
4. Add melted butter to bread crumbs and mix well, top pasta with buttered breadcrumbs and evenly distribute.
5. Place in a pre-heated 350-degree oven and bake uncovered for approximately 20 minutes.
FYI: For more great recipes and all things food- and drink-related, visit mccaffreys.com. Please join our Registered Dietitian for our free nutrition event, Eat This, Not That! Healthy Food Swaps Thursday, April 25, from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. at the McCaffrey’s in West Windsor in the upstairs bistro.
McCaffrey’s, 335 Princeton-Hightstown Road, Southfield Shopping Center, West Windsor. 609-799-3555. 301 North Harrison Street, Princeton. 609-683-1600. Also in Yardley, Newtown, Blue Bell, and Doylestown, Pennsylvania. www.mccaffreys.com.