Corrections or additions?
This article by Barbara Fox was prepared for the August 28, 2002 edition of U.S. 1 Newspaper. All rights reserved.
Graves: Teapots To Police HQs?
First, a teapot. Now, a firing range? If the state continues
with its plan, the office of architect Michael Graves will design
a new professional training center and headquarters complex for the
New Jersey state police at the site of the existing headquarters in
Ewing. Designs by Michael Graves & Associates, in association with
STV Architects, were unveiled on August 23. The $125 million cost
would be funded through the State Building Authority.
As with a college campus, the new training center would include a
200,000 square foot building with classrooms and an interactive learning
center, plus dormitories for 200 recruits, dining hall, gymnasium,
pool, and an indoor firing range. It would have simulators for driving
and firearms training and various settings for tactical drills. Sixteen
of the old headquarters buildings, which date to 1921, will be demolished
and the remaining buildings will be augmented with new construction
to total 200,000 feet of office space. An emergency operations center
will also be located here.
Two parcels totaling 9.69 acres at the corner of Route
206 and Cherry Valley Road were purchased for $1,750,000 to develop
a Commerce Bank and CVS drugstore. One two-acre piece of this site
used to be the Bahadurian Oriental rug firm, and the rest is undeveloped
land between Route 206 and Mount Lucas Road. Fronting on Cherry Valley
Road, it now holds two billboards.
"The agreement was signed in 1999 but it took a long time for
all the approvals, since it is in two townships and two counties,"
says Stephen M. Segal, who brokered the deal for both Princeton Cherry
Valley Properties LLC (the Mount Laurel-based developer for Commerce
Bank) and the sellers (Samuel Bahadurian and ABN Princeton Associates).
Site plans have been approved and construction should start in a couple of months.
Point Industrial Park, Cranbury 08512. Tom Yoos, president. 609-655-0840;
fax, 609-655-0863. Www.americanlogisticsinc.com
A two-year-old logistics and warehousing company occupies 218,000
feet that formerly housed Wyeth-Ayerst. It is owned by partners Tom
Yoos, Timothy Fox, and Timothy Brennan.
Brennan is CEO of a sister firm, A-1 Pallet in Lumberton. Cushman
& Wakefield represented the landlord.
08648. Richard Tibbetts Jr., vice president of marketing. 609-587-8000;
fax, 609-587-7788. Www.homefixcorporation.com
A branch office of a national remodeling company opened at Lawrence
Square Boulevard. It does windows, siding, roofs, and doors.
Industrial Park, Cranbury 08512. Robert Villanova, manager. 609-409-3365;
Earlier this year ALCO Industries bought a 240,000 square-foot building
in South Brunswick Industrial Park and plans to move there from its
current location in Edison (732-225-7200).
Jeffrey Schulman, owner. 732-274-9500; fax, 732-274-3366. Www.platypusonline.com
The headquarters office for Platypus moved from a 3,600 square-foot
warehouse at 118 North Center Drive in North Brunswick to a six-person
office at Jefferson Plaza. The company has six retail stores, including
one at MarketFair, which sell furniture, art, flatware, and dishes.
It decided to utilize public storage instead of maintaining its own
08540. Mark H. Sandler, president. 609-924-6100; fax, 609-452-0138.
Home page: www.research100.com
After 30 years at Princeton Service Center, Research 100 closed its
doors. It has an operational web page, but the telephone has been
disconnected and no other number is available in directory assistance.
Last year the firm had 10 employees and expanded to 5,000 square feet
by installing new focus room facilities (U.S. 1, July 11, 2001).
The 12-person firm was founded in 1970 by Sandler’s father to offer
custom market research to manufacturers, advertising and service organizations.
Questions are being handled by John Crayton, a Moorestown attorney
with Crayton & Belknap.
1018 Hamilton Avenue, Trenton 08629. 609-392-5494.
This nonprofit agency has closed down, with 15 loans totaling $125,000
outstanding. Established in 1978, the three-person agency depended
on donations from large corporations for 60 percent of its $200,000
budget, but such funds have dwindled in the past several years. Dedicated
to improving Trenton’s neighborhoods, it offered home ownership counseling
services, and low-interest home improvement loans.
Shop (AIT), 21 Englehard Drive, Monroe 08831. 609-409-1000. Www.appliedindustrial.com
The Englehard Drive location for this Cleveland-based firm, which
made rubber for conveyor belts, has closed. Calls are being taken
by a branch in Appleton, Wisconsin. The headquarters number is 216-426-4000.
Auto Sales and been a professional photographer.
He worked for First Union Bank and at the former Lawrenceville Hardware
Store, which was owned by his father.
Corrections or additions?
This page is published by PrincetonInfo.com
— the web site for U.S. 1 Newspaper in Princeton, New Jersey.