Corrections or additions?

Between the Lines

News gathering organizations ordinarily welcome calls

from citizens caught up in dramatic moments. Often the man or woman

on the street can tell the story in a way that no official source

can ever match.

But we would have traded all the sources in Information Age not to

have received the call we got last Tuesday morning, September 11,

at around 9 a.m. from Bill Fallon, the husband of U.S. 1 staffer


Fallon. Something was wrong at the World Trade Center, where he was

calling from, and Bill wanted to let Brenda know he was okay.

Brenda Fallon, U.S. 1’s accounts manager and supervisor of our


system and overseer of many other parts of our operation, was in fact

already worrying about her husband. She was at home in Rocky Hill,

glued to the television set. Bill called Brenda at home twice in the

next half hour, and then was not heard from again.

Some tragedies have to hit home before you appreciate their full


That wasn’t the case in the September 11 attacks. And now the Fallon

family and thousands of families in the same position feel both the

personal pain as well as the national loss.

As the minutes turned into hours and the hours turned into days, we

at U.S. 1 talked about "losing hope" that Bill Fallon might

still be found alive. But over the weekend, when Bill was officially

listed as a victim, we realized that hope should never be lost, but

instead should be strengthened and transferred to some other worthy


One such hope would be that these acts of terror not be allowed to

ruin the American dream for any of the families affected on September

11. It will take the best efforts of all us to get to the brighter

days that surely lie ahead.

And we can hope that people appreciate and draw strength from the

lives of people like Bill Fallon. An active member of the Princeton

United Methodist Church and a former representative on the Rocky Hill

Borough Council, he was known in the community and church as always

ready to help someone in need.

William F. Fallon Jr., 53, graduated from Villanova and served in

the U.S. Navy as a Lieutenant JG. As an owner’s representative for

an international steamship company, he lived with Brenda in Monrovia,

Liberia; Lagos, Nigeria; and Melbourne and Sydney, Australia. After

joining the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in 1986, he

became general manager of strategic analysis and industry relations

in the Port Commerce Department, and managed the agency’s


offices in London, Hong Kong, and Seoul. He and Brenda are the parents

of Chris Fallon, 18, who helped us at U.S. 1 this past summer before

heading off to his freshman year at Emory University.

Even if he had died of old age, one of Bill Fallon’s legacies would

have been from the 1993 World Trade Center bombing. At that time


— always a dedicated marathon runner in superb physical condition

— risked his own life to help a disabled woman down dozens of

flights of stairs.

Visiting hours are Thursday, September 20, from 6 to 9 p.m. at the

Mather-Hodge Funeral Home, 40 Vandeventer Avenue, Princeton. The


will be Friday, September 21, at 11 a.m. at the Princeton United


Church on Nassau Street.

Previous Story

Corrections or additions?

This page is published by

— the web site for U.S. 1 Newspaper in Princeton, New Jersey.

Facebook Comments